2.27.2010

Pepsi Throwback... nice try.

So, Pepsi decided to bank on my generation's new found obsession with the "retro" movement and try to snatch our hard earned disposable income with the introduction of their "Throwback" series of sodas.

For the two of you that don't know, the Pepsi Throwback campaign replaced with current packaging of Pepsi and Mountain Dew with those of bygone days. The first series featured a Pepsi can design right out of the 70's, and Mountain Dew's design was something out of the 70's-80's.










The current series features different designs. Pepsi sees a return to the 80's, while Mountain Dew returns for it's first incarnation. I actually like these designs better.

While the identity remix is nice, what really sells this promotion is the little fine print on the label.



"Made with real sugar"








That's right, the formula for this batch does away with HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). Those that follow my rants know my feelings towards HFCS.

The first batch I bought (featuring the 70's Pepsi and 80's Dew) tasted fantastic! I mean, that is what soda is supposed to taste like. It's the second go-round I'm having issues with.

Mediciney aftertaste.  If I wanted Mediciney aftertaste, I'd drink that abortion Dr. Pepper.

Something is fishy.

Why doesn't it taste the same as the first batch released only a few months before?

Nice try Pepsi... but you lost me, again.




0 comments: